Why is it important to consider your MFP security?
As part of the reforms to the Federal Government’s privacy legislation, a significant number of government and private sector organisations will be under even greater obligation to protect the security of personal information stored on its systems, networks and devices. This is just one of a number of changes to the current Privacy Act that will come into effect from March 12, 2014.
If your organisation has a digital photocopier or MFP, we recommend that you conduct a review, including consideration of the device’s security settings and functionality to ensure your compliance obligations will be met come March and beyond.
Video: Prepare your MFP for the Privacy Act Reforms
Did you know that most digital photocopiers can store thousands of scanned images?
3) Install user authentication – Password access, card swipe or finger scan authentication.
4) Ensure that a password protected firewall is in place.
5) Install a document management solution – Digitising documents, automating manual processes and adding workflow enhances document security.
6) Establish an end of life plan – ensure you have a procedure in place for the proper disposal of MFPs once they are no longer in use.
7) Make best practice policies and processes available to your staff – The best made plans can only be effective if your team know and understand them.